What can I eat with braces?
Wearing braces can take some getting used to, but with a little guidance, you can still enjoy most of your favorite foods.
Foods to avoid
The following foods are not easy or helpful to eat when you have braces. They can get stuck in your teeth or wires or can damage your appliance:
- Hard candies
- Sticky foods like caramel, taffy, gummies
- Whole apples or crunchy fruits/veggies (cut into pieces, cook)
- Ice cubes
- Hard pretzels
- Corn on the cob
- Crusty bread
- Thick steak or meat
Foods you can eat
With care and preparation, there are many foods you can still enjoy with braces:
- Ice cream
- Chopped up fruits
- Chopped up meats
- Cooked veggies
- Soft bread
- Corn off the cob
- Soft meat (deli, fish, tender cuts)
- Soft grains like rice, quinoa, oatmeal
This list is not exhaustive and there are many more foods that you can enjoy during your braces treatment. Consider the size and cut it smaller to help with chewing.
Tips to eating successfully with braces
- Cut your food into bite-sized pieces, even things like pizza and sandwiches
- Cook your vegetables until soft
- For a salty snack, choose soft crackers instead of chips
- For bone-in meat like wings, pull the meat off with a fork and knife, not your teeth
- Avoid sugary sodas and drinks
- Don’t suck hard candies and avoid them entirely if possible
You can always call us for advice or to ask questions about your braces.
For more help, see below: