You may be wondering what to expect during your Invisalign treatment. Truthfully, your life won’t be much different than it is now. You’ll just need to follow the instructions given to you by your San Rafael orthodontist if you want to have the best treatment experience possible. Here’s what a typical day with Invisalign or Invisalign Teen may look like for you.
Daily Invisalign Instructions
Regular braces are cemented to your teeth and stay there 24/7 until your treatment is finished. Invisible aligners are a little different. They slide on over the top of your teeth and are removable. This gives you some freedom to remove them as needed for dietary and hygiene reasons. However, you should still wear them at least 22 hours per day for maximum results. Here’s how to wear and care for your clear aligners each day:
- Remove and clean your aligners every morning after getting up. You can brush your aligners with a soft toothbrush and toothpaste, just like you do for your normal teeth. Your San Rafael orthodontist may also recommend a special cleaner for you to soak your aligners in every day.
- Remove your aligners each time you eat, and make sure you brush your teeth before putting your aligners back in your mouth. This is an important step that will help you avoid tooth decay.
- Stick to water as your beverage of choice. If you drink sugary beverages, remove your aligners first and brush your teeth after you drink. It’s also a good idea to swish your mouth out with water before reapplying your clear aligners.
- Avoid chewing gum or consuming any other sticky/chewy substances while wearing your aligners.
- Before going to bed, clean your teeth and your aligners. Make sure you wear your aligners to bed.
- Attend regular appointments with your San Rafael orthodontist to receive new aligners. Appointments are typically spaced out every four to six weeks.
Contact Your San Rafael Orthodontist
The most important thing you can do when wearing Invisalign or Invisalign Teen is follow the instructions of your orthodontist very carefully. If you do, you’re more likely to have a good treatment outcome and possibly shorten your treatment time overall. Make sure you contact your San Rafael orthodontist now for a consultation for Invisalign!